Thursday, September 5, 2013

Ride Americas 2013


This past Saturday, I along with a little over 800 other persons got a chance to ride on the Circuit of The Americas Formula 1 track just outside of Austin, Texas.
 
Pure sweetness.
 
I will say for the record here, I'm slow....very slow.   That's a result of being out of shape and not spending enough time in the saddle this year but, who cares? I never have been one about 'speed'. I move at my own pace and I like it. So with that being said, I have posted a video below showing my first lap of the morning.
 
Holland Racing put on the event and I must say, it was outstanding! Very well organized.
 
We began by staging in the paddock behind the garages and then shuffled our way through the garages (sorry, no cars to be seen. ) and onto pit lane. Waited a few minutes then took off for the 'beast'. 'Beast' being the name the first 1/4 mile of the track. From the start line to the apex of the first turn (Turn 1), it is roughly 13 stories high which translates to being around a 13% to 14% grade.  Not much fun when just starting out for the day.  The circuit is 3.4 miles in length and is so freaking smooth.
 

 Having passed through the garages, we are now waiting on pit lane to start the climb to turn 1.
 

At the top of Turn 1 looking back down towards the start line.

 

The video below was sped up, obviously....not about to subject you to 20 minutes of waiting and riding.  I tracked myself on Endomondo and I covered 3.45 miles in a little over 15 minutes with an average of 13.5mph.

 
 
Ride Americas 2013 from Biking Viking on Vimeo.

All in all, it was a great experience but next year I will be in better shape and enjoy it that much more.
If you are in the vacinity next year, you should do it.
Oh, and also, this was to kick off the Tour of Austin race. Those guys and gals are freaking fast! Some of those guys ran the circuit in under 8 minutes with speeds in the mid to upper 20's. O_o

Thanks for checking in.
The fat guy on a bike.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment